[vox-tech] simple X86 question

Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:06:49 -0700

andy, don't apologize for being a newbie; it's not a crime.  the only
crime is to ask a question without putting a little brain (and a bit of
research) into it.

i've never owned a mandrake system, but i'm guessing you start out in
runlevel 5.   switch to runlevel 3:

   telinit 3

the numbers aren't standardized, but i *think* mandrake and redhat use
the 3rd runlevel for "multiuser, no X startup".

now if you do control-alt-backspace, you should be able to kill X
without it restarting.

if that doesn't work, try stopping the display manager.  i've never used
a display manager before, but i think one of these should do the trick:

   /etc/init.d/gdm stop
   /etc/init.d/kdm stop
   /etc/init.d/xdm stop

one of these ideas will work, if not both; i don't think gdm is respawned
from /etc/inittab.  but then again, i've never used it.  :)

btw, if you want to go into single user mode:

   telinit 1

pete

ps- one more thing, instead of replying to a post to start a new thread,
just start a new thread.  i'm guessing you replied to the "vim question"
thread, deleted the content and changed the subject.  for those of us
who use mutt, this is confusing because mutt looks at references for
threading rather than subjects.

begin Andy Campbell <atcampbell@ucdavis.edu>