CMOS settings lost when unplugged, battery is good (was Re: [vox-tech] CMOS problems, battery dead?)

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Ryan wrote:
> On Saturday 27 April 2002 10:25 pm, ME wrote:
> > 6 months ago for new MB? (what you
> > wrote for your replacement) That is not much time for a new MB. Maybe it
> > was a problem as shipped, but you did not notice until recently since the
> > uptime has been so high? (blind guess.)
>
> Yup.

When a problem exists in a system when "new" (even when it is not
discovered until later due to high uptimes) the problem is often one of
three items:
 1) defect in the board/device (board seems like a highly likely
possibility.)
 2) incorrect settings to device, or in this case motherboard. (Jumpers
mis-set, not configured as they should be, etc.)
 3) Settings in the firmware/BIOS
  Haave not seen these kinds of settings, but maybe...
   nvram read-only setting (maybe under anti-virus support)

Whatever the problem (even if none of the above) having the person who
assembled your new replacement board explain why this is happening might
be the best solution. They may have it as a "known problem" and just need
to set a jumper they forgot to set in previous replacements.

Perhaps they will take pity on you if you explain this problem was not
found since you left your machine running for many months and it only
comes up when not connected to power.

The other suggestions still stand, but I'd persue the vendor. :-/

-ME