[vox-tech] I'm also having ntp problems :-(

Ryan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:21:56 -0700

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 11:11 pm, msimons@moria.simons-clan.com wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 11:04:01PM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> > The following seems to be happening...
> >
> > connections to a udp server on nat work fine both ways.
> >
> > connections to a udp server on bob only work for sending data to bob.
> >
> > in tcpdump, I see nat telling bob that the udp port is unreachable, y=
et
> > bob has no firewall.
> >
> > Very odd.....
>
>   Can you paste a 10 line tcpdump log showing this event?

23:18:56.151057 bob.ntp > nat.ntp:  [udp sum ok] v4 client strat 0 poll 4=
 prec -6 dist 1.000000 disp 1.000000 ref (unspec)@0.000000000 orig 0.0000=
00000 rec -0.000000000 xmt -1066262965.417984008 (DF) (ttl 64, id 0, len =
76)
23:18:56.151341 nat > bob: icmp: nat udp port ntp unreachable for bob.ntp=
 > nat.ntp:  v4 client strat 0 poll 4 prec -6 dist 1.000000 disp 1.000000=
 ref (unspec)@0.000000000 [|ntp] (DF) (ttl 64, id 0, len 76) [tos 0xc0]  =
(ttl 255, id 20476, len 104)
[repeated 3 times]

> A little background,
>   nat is (the nat/firewall/ntp machine)
>   bob is (the client)
> if not correct please explain.

Yes, correct.

nat's main job is to do NAT and firewall stuff.

> > On Wednesday 24 April 2002 10:51 pm, msimons@moria.simons-clan.com wr=
ote:
It