[vox-tech] Not able to log into root.

Charles Polisher vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:08:11 -0700

nbs wrote:
> Rusty Minden wrote:
> > Dohh! Yes I do I flubbed when doing a search using vim sorry. Still can't use
> > su to log into root.
>
> You'll probably need to boot into single user mode (err.. if you CAN
> with a botched /etc/passwd), or (more likely) use a rescue disk.
>
> BTW - use "vipw", not "vim"...  It will, as the man page says,
> "set the appropriate locks to prevent file corruption."  I seem to
> recall it also complaining and not saving/quitting if the file got
> botched up.  (eg, it syntax checks it before committing to disk)
>
> I could be wrong about that last part, unfortunately... :)
> In that case, I guess VIM is good enough.  Just be CAREFUL! ;)
>
> -bill!

vipw ensures that multiple admins working on the same
machine won't get crosswise with the password file.
I make it a habit to use vi -R foo whenever possible,
saves your bacon from making unwanted changes, and it's
a nicer environment than those pager things, for instance
vi/vim/gvim have got row & column indicators, search histories,
syntax hiliting, and bookmarks. If they're configured
correctly. The one time I was forced^W^Wused Slackware
it turned out vi was sym-linked to ...drumroll... pelvis !
With all the tasty bits left out.

--
With trembling hands he unfurled the ancient cracked parchment, this was
the place, it had to be. Uncertainly he began to mumble the chant "rdbms,