[vox-tech] breakinguplongwordsinlatex

Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:10:13 -0700

hi bill,

there's a way to make \linebreak into a suggestion, rather than a
command.   off the top of my head, i can't remember how, but leslie
lamport's book should go into that in depth.

pete

ps- there are only two necessary books on latex.  the first is leslie
lamport's book.  is a _must_ for anyone who spends even a small amount of
time with latex:

http://www.nerdbooks.com/item.html?id=0201529831&phpSID=5543e20c30290fdcb16d7d47668ccb02

then there's the "latex companion".  it is a companion to leslie
lamport's book.  where leslie's book is small and light reading,
goossens' book is long and meant to be a reference rather than read.
it's a must for anyone who wants to do intermediate to advanced stuff
with latex.

http://www.nerdbooks.com/item.html?id=0201541998&phpSID=5543e20c30290fdcb16d7d47668ccb02

pps- got off my @ss and looked it up.  page 95 of leslie lamport:

\linebreak[0]: if it's convenient, please consider line breaking here.
\linebreak[1]: please line break here.
\linebreak[2]: line break here.
\linebreak[3]: you better line break here or there's hell to pay
\linebreak[4]: hello latex, this is god speaking. thou shalt line break.

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>