[vox-tech] CMOS problems, dead battery?

Ryan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:50:32 -0700

I'm going to see if changing the battery helps when I get around to it.

I was wondering if there was anuything else that could be causing a probl=
em,=20
as the battery is less then a year old.

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 04:30 pm, ME wrote:
> Static discharge/short in mb (temporary or on-going)
>
> BIOS/CMOS EEPROM receives bad signal.
>
> Uncommon, but possible on some systems: nvram/BIOS access from OS alter=
ed
>  things. There are viruses that can target data stored in nvram and mak=
> some machines unbootable, but that are rather uncommon.
>
> Non-power supply related:
> Someone set a jumper on the mb imporperly

Perhaps, but most motherboards refuse to boot if the CMOS clear jumper is=
=20
set, and that's about the only jumper on the board (everything else is in=
 the=20
bios)

> After successive heating and cooling "chip rising" (not so much a probl=
em
>  on modern machines - mostly with older DIP chip based boards with bios=
 in
>  sockets instead of integrated.)

I dislike intergarted BIOS, makes things much more expensive if you botch=
 a=20
flash. (this happened with my laptop, costing me $150 for a new motherboa=
rd=20
instead of $15 for an new BIOS chip)

The one on the affected system IS socketed, and is fairly new. I thought =
most=20
desktops were like that.

> Bad contact / intermittant contact with chips used for BIOS
> Dead battery or battery getting close to being dead (mentioned by you
>  earlier, but still most common.)

How long should a battery last?