[vox-tech] RH keeps crashing

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:57:37 -0700

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 02:52:03PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>=20
> >=20
> > Thanks for the tip.  I'll remember that.  As it is, I'm unable to ping,=
=20
> > browse to, ssh to, tel-net to, telepathically link to, or otherwise=20
> > communicate with the machine.  I'll try smoke signals next.
>=20
> this is a good indication that the kernel is truly dead.  smoked.  it's
> almost 100% certain to be a hardware problem of some sort.
>=20
> the most important question now is -- what recently changed?  did you
> install any new packages?  any new hardware?  change bios?

Mike Simons recently alerted me to the possibility of APM (advanced power
mangement? I believe) causing havok when the machine is idle if (1) kernel
APM support is on and (2) the APM support in the BIOS is not properly
supported by your version of Linux. I have subsequently found that APM
support only works properly on very new desktops (a wider range of notebooks
work, though). You might check whether your machine is using APM by scanning
the output of dmesg for 'apm'.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=