[vox-tech] RH keeps crashing

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:52:03 -0700

begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>

> Thanks for the tip.  I'll remember that.  As it is, I'm unable to ping,
> browse to, ssh to, tel-net to, telepathically link to, or otherwise
> communicate with the machine.  I'll try smoke signals next.

this is a good indication that the kernel is truly dead.  smoked.  it's
almost 100% certain to be a hardware problem of some sort.

the most important question now is -- what recently changed?  did you
install any new packages?  any new hardware?  change bios?

> I have had to reinstall X on this machine before, so I have wondered
> about its stability.  I think the issue is probably deeper than that
> at the moment, but I'll try ctrl+alt+backspace this evening at home.

what kind of video card?  what version of X?  (X -version).

oh -- one more thought.  my dual celeron 300 was overclocked to 550.  it
worked flawleslly EXCEPT when i played a game.  it took me months to
figure out what the problem was.

i had overclocked the PCI bus to 100MHz (133MHz?  can't remember).  some
cards are fine with that.  others balk.  apparently, voodoo 5's balk at
running on a 100MHz bus.   also, the kernel kept generating APIC errors
(i still don't REALLY know what an APIC error is) during the summer
months.  whatever happened to the system, the problem was aggravated
when it was hot outside.

is your system overclocked?   who built it?

pete