[vox-tech] RH keeps crashing

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:39:33 -0700

begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> At 11:15 AM 4/22/02 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >ok, this might be an indication of a bona-fide kernel crash.  that's
> >when linux "stops running".  the kernel stops responding to any event.
> >may be a ram problem.  doubt it's hard drive related.   a user space
> >program shouldn't be taking the whole system down.
>
> I'll double check the memory when I get home, then.  Ugh.  I wonder what
> could be causing it?
>
> I have kernel 2.4.7-10.
>
> Would replacing RAM be as easy as replacing a hard drive?  I've added RAM
> to a laptop, and I could do that in my sleep (remove lid... pop in chip...
> replace lid).

heh.  replacing DIMM in a box might be harder than a laptop.

trick:
be confident enough to apply enough force to get the thing into the
slot and the clips to pop into position.  be timid enough not to crack
the DIMM in half.

i like to call it using "gentle force".

also, be aware that DIMMS have a notch that prevents you from installing
them backwards.  if it doesn't go in with "gentle force", make sure you
have the DIMM notch aligned with the boss (the opposite of a notch)
inside the DIMM slot.

pete