[vox-tech] more newbie questions

Joey Karalius vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:43:17 -0700

I have an extra serial port (9-pin), and I was looking for a 9-pin to
25-pin cable.  That was when I ran across these serial to USB cables
which looked pretty cool, especially since I have extra USB ports.
(Henry, I'll take you up on your offer for the cable.  Let me know when
and where to get it...)

A followup question:  Since the 25-pin SP connection is the same as the
PP connection, can I hook my PP ZIP drive to the SP, and my SP modem to
the PP?  When is a serial port not a parallel port, and vice versa?
I've got the ZIP drive-to-printer hookup on my parallel port, and want
to use my scanner as well, but I understand that daisy-chaining these
things slows down performance.  If I expand my port selection with
another card,  do I need to get a PP card for PP devices, and SP for SP
devices? (I mean, if the shoe fits...) ;)  I just want to understand a
little more 'bout the hardware.

Thanks to all who helped...

Joey

--