[vox-tech] replacing a monitor's VGA connector

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:17:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i have a monitor which shows everything with a blue tint unless the VGA
> connector (the end near the computer, not the end by the monitor) is
> bent in a certain direction.
>
> i take this to mean there's a grounding problem and the whole connector
> (the connector plus wires from the monitor) needs to be replaced.

Not necessarily.  The ground pin is one of the many pins on the VGA cable
so that's probably okay.  The shielding (the metal around the pins, which
is probably connected to the ground) may be loose but that shouldn't cause
a blue tint.  The problem is more likely to be one of the RGB pins (I'd
guess either the R or G pins since you're getting a blue tint). Check the
following:

   - Make sure there are no bent pins on the cable.  (It happens)

   - Is the problem on the cable side or the video card side? -- try
     connecting a working monitor and try connecting the monitor to
     a working video card.

   - See if there's an easier solution -- try bending the RGB pins
     slightly to see if that makes a better connection.  (pins 1, 2, 3, 6,
     7, 8, according to http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/vga_bd15.html)
     Make sure you don't break the pins :P

   - See if simply attaching an VGA extension cable does anything.

   - If all else fails, try bending other pins.

> is this a DYI type of job?   anyone here do anything like this before?
> it will certainly entail opening up the monitor.  i just wanted to hear
> from anyone who has done or even just read about doing this.

If you open up the monitor, be very careful as there is a charge of
electrons stored in there waiting to be awaken... but you already knew
that since you're a physicist (but it doesn't hurt to be reminded).  I
don't think I've ever opened up a monitor, but whenever I open up a TV I
try to let it sit for a couple days without any connection to the outlet
to let the electrons drain a bit as a precaution, but I'm not sure how
much that helps -- I just know I've never gotten shocked from a TV.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/