[vox-tech] not sure what to call it

Aaron King vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:19:21 -0700

I have a new install of Mandrake 8.2 and have been having problems that sound
somewhat similar.  Everything works just fine and then suddenly all
functionality comes to a stop.  Looking into these problems, I've found on at
least two occasions that they're due to permissions problems.

What security level did you choose when you installed?  Mandrake's security
system, msec, does permission checks on the whole filesystem and changes the
permissions to what it thinks they ought to be.  So you can set them and come
back five minutes later and have them reset.  If you're having problems like
those I've been having, it could be because some daemon suddenly loses the
ability to write a file in /tmp for example, or to write to a log file, or to
read a file it needs.

Could this be the problem you're having?

Aaron

Aaron King, Ph.D.                       http://two.ucdavis.edu/~aking
Dept. of Environmental Science & Policy      mailto:aking@ucdavis.edu
University of California                            Tel: 530/752 3026
One Shields Avenue, Davis CA 95616 USA              Fax: 530/752 3350