[vox-tech] POP3 email

Martyn R Whittaker vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:02:28 -0700

Thanks for the advice on sending files to my Web server.  That=92s =
working
fine.

I am now trying to access email.  Ipopd is running on my server =96 i.e. =
can send myself email (to martynw@billyfirestudios.com) and when I type
=A0
telnet localhost pop-3
=A0
and log in, it tells me I have messages.  (This also works if, instead
of typing 'localhost'. I type in the actual fixed IP address of my
machine, or mail.billyfirestudios.com or www.billyfirestudios.com)
=A0
I now want to be able to 'pop' the email from my Web server to my
Windows client. =20
=A0
In my client mail system (under Outlook) I have tried various pop
addresses, e.g. mail.billyfirestudios.com, www.billyfirestudios.com,
192.168.0.1 and the actual fixed IP address of the machine etc but I do
not seem to get a connection.

I am also able to run the telnet command from my Windows client i.e.
when I type:=20

telnet mail.billyfirestudios.com 110=20

using the 'RUN' command, it works fine.

I feel I must be close but missing something obvious.  Any advice would
be gratefully received.

Regards

Martyn
=A0
Martyn R. Whittaker
p. +1 530 756 2867=A0 f. +1 253 498 9591=A0 m. +1 916 813 7061
=A0