[vox-tech] proftpd

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:19:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Martyn R Whittaker wrote:

> Does anyone in the group use proftpd?

Nope, I use ssh/scp for all my file transfers.

> I'm trying to setup FTP on my Web server so that I can update my Web
> server.  I ran

Why not ssh/scp? :)

> apt-get install proftpd

You could then just run

apt-get install ssh

and since it piggybacks off ssh, there's no need to set it up
to get basic funcionality out of it.

> and everything seemed to be going well - until I get the following
> message:
>

> Selecting previously deselected package proftpd-common.
>
> (Reading database ... 34654 files and directories currently installed.)
>
> Unpacking proftpd-common (from .../proftpd-common_1.2.4-2_i386.deb) ...
>
> Selecting previously deselected package proftpd.
>
> Unpacking proftpd (from .../proftpd_1.2.4-2_i386.deb) ...
>
> Setting up proftpd (1.2.4-2) ...
>
> Starting professional ftp daemon:  - No certificate files found!
>
> proftpd.
>

> I don't think it has installed properly.

It looks like it is installed properly, but not configured.
the message you are seeing is coming from the init script apt is
running to start ftpd.

> Where can I look to check?
>
> What does it mean by 'no certificates found'?

It means there are no certificates found.

My immediate advice would be: read the proftpd documentation.
my best advice would be: don't use ftp :)

-Gabe

ps. my immediate request would be: please don't post html mail to vox-*