[vox-tech] Using Linux to print to a WinNT printer from Mac?

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 19:15:02 -0800 (PST)

Several. If you can get drivers for the mac to print to it, then a
breeze. If not some work would be needed.

1: ASUN Netatalk distro (moved to sourceforge a while back I think) it is
getting much nicer than it was a few years ago. PAP is available within it
for appltalk based printer advertising etc. You can then find the linux
shared "printer" from the choose and a zone (now does zone propagation of
you dont have one too :-)

2: Within MacOS (Since 8 I think) the OS comes with a tool, "Apple Desktop
Printer Utility" or "Desktop Printer Utility" or something like that. If
you make your linux printer available for/from lprng/lpr, then this tool
from Apple will allow you to connect the mac to the linux box's lpr based
printer for indirect print spooling.

Both of the above should offer you some support. #2 is easier with few
clients. #1 is easier with lots of clients. Finding an appropriate printer
driver on the mac may take some work though. If the printer is true
postscript capable, that is the easiest as you can use the generic
postscript printer driver from the mac.

-ME