[vox-tech] How badly screwed am I?

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:08:33 -0800 (PST)

I would start by booting up and checking out the BIOS. See if there is a
setting for auto-probing your installed CPU to report how many and of what
kind are installed.

Any missing CPU or mis-reported CPU should be treated as suspect and
possibly re-seated.

Another thought... if the fan/cooler-plate for the CPU is not making good
contact with the CPU, you may end up with over-heating. If this occurs,
could the Intel based CPU speed-step down the speed of the CPU to bring it
withing acceptable temperature? *and* if this happens on a multi-processor
system with one processor running at a stepped speed lower than the rest,
could this pose a problem for the board and OS?

Ideas to check... wheeeee, isn't this fun?

-ME