[vox-tech] looking for Debian support

nbs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:21:48 -0800

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 12:02:27AM -0800, tfarnall wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am contacting you because I'm looking for someone to provide paid
> support to me in the use of Debian.

Hi Tom!  Welcome to our list!  Pete Salzman had forwarded your message to him
onto this list last night, and we discussed it a little then.
(You can see the thread starting here:

<snip>
> Regarding the immediate help I need, it is for someone to walk me through
> the debian install via telephone.

An over-the-telephone attempt may prove to be frustrating, but it's
better than nothing.

Pete had suggested we do a road trip out to Arcata to help you, as we've
done this once in the past for someone in Benicia.  Unfortunately, though,
it looks like you're a 6h15m drive from Davis! :)

The closest other LUG I could think of was North Bay LUG out in Santa Rosa,
but they're still 5h45m away from you.

Doing a little more search on Google, I think I may have found a LUG at
Humboldt State which might be able to help, if the over-the-phone attempt
fails.  From my response to the earlier thread:

    ...it appears there's a LUG in Humboldt,
    which is run by Ian Ray (imr1@humboldt.edu).

    The CS club at Humboldt State USED to have a LUG page on their site:

      http://www.humboldt.edu/~csc/

    ...but don't seem to any more. Maybe someone from there can give pointers?

    Finally, I also stumbled across this fellow:

      http://www.kevinfrank.com/

    ...who specializes in "custom software and database development with
    FileMaker Pro.  Also, Windows (all flavors), Linux, and Networking."
    He's in Arcata.

In the meantime, I'm sure there's a number of people here who'd love
to help over the phone! :)

Again... welcome to the list!  I've got to go run to prepare for tonight's
meeting!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
Public Relations Officer