[vox-tech] Effective home disk backup systems

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 19:05:37 -0800

You trying to protect against?
	User error?
	House burning down?
	Someone stealing your machine?
	Hardware failures?
	Forever archives?

My personal solution is 2 80 GB drives in a raid-1 to protect against
hardware failure.  Then I rsync important files (I.e. my source, my
bookmarks, my taxes, anything I type in etc. ) with machines outside
my house to protect against losing the house, theft, serious hardware
failure.

Other then that I'd go with CDR's with bzip2 or similar, of if that's
not enough capacity per media I'd go with a DLT, they go for $600
on pricewatch (or so).  I don't trust DAT's to much, the drives seem
to last about 1-1.5 years of daily use then die, and often (twice to me)
shortly before they die they end up writing tapes you can't read on
a healthy DAT.  I've never had a DLT problem in the last 6 years or so
of daily (ish) use with the 5 drives I've used.

> 1: One of my IBM Deskstar drives started making rude noises this
>    morning, when the morning updatedb ran.  It has 4 drive errors
>    logged into the SMART log... it claims only 510 Power On Hours
>    but it claims no relocated sectors.
>      I have too much important information on this drive to consider
>    losing it, so I'm going to have to take the drive offline until
>    I find a backup system and/or a replacement drive.

I'd offload elsewhere ASAP, preferably BEFORE turning the drive
off.