[vox-tech] Peters Kernal Update and a Few Questions

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:14:41 -0800

begin: Roland Minden <rminden@Unilab.com> quote

> Your not attempting to do Peter in are you?
>
> Seriously Peter I use it to monitor traffic and test lines, I know I can do
> the same on Linux. I have done some of it, but I was looking to see what
> kind on integrated network tools are available.

well, integrated, i don't know about.   i guess ifconfig, route, ping,
tracerroute and a few others do well.  guess it would be nice if someone
wrote something that integrated it all in a package that didn't require a
graphical interface, since we often configure a net connection before X.

> Thanks for the info on the
> Kernal. I will download the new Kernal tonight. I have not installed a
> Kernal in almost one year. This should be interesting.

if you:

	1. use "make oldconfig" [1]
	2. remember to use lilo

everything should be ok.

pete

[1] you may not have a .config supplied by suse.  if not, well, just be sure
	to read all the help for stuff you don't know about.   email vox-tech
	if you need advice on a particular kernel config parameter.