[vox-tech] bypass linux native tcp stack

Jan Wynholds vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:40:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am not too sure about what you are asking (and I am no expert on the
subject), but I think you might want to check out the Netfilter test suite as
well.  With that, you can 'bypass' the normal hardware interface (like an
ethernet card), and send frames from another software interface (like ethertap
does).  But it's all for testing the hardiness of iptables (so the rest of the
system is completely unaffected).  You can generate UDP and other protocol
packets with that tool, and not just tcp/ip.  The nice thing about the test
suite is that it has a step by step testing of your firewall (or router,
etc)...

I am not too sure what your point of doing this is, but if it is for security
testing, the netfilter test suite is *really* nice.  If not, tho, you might
want to look at something different.

HTH,

jan