[vox-tech] finding what package provides a file in debian (cool!)

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:16:27 -0800

here's a nice one that every debian user should know about.

suppose you want to compile a program, and gcc complains that it can't find a
library, say, SDL_video.h.   and you have no idea what debian package provides
this file.   use auto-apt:

   # auto-apt search SDL_video.h
   usr/include/SDL/SDL_video.h     devel/libsdl1.1-dev

so the package libsdl1.1-dev provides the SDL_video.h

it's kind of like dpkg -L in reverse.   dpkg -L tells you what files a
particular package will install on your system.   auto-apt tells you
what packages will provide you with that particular file.

but there's more here.  this very cool feature isn't even what auto-apt is
all about.  from the man page:

       auto-apt is a program that checks file access of  programs
       running  within  auto-apt environments.  If a program will
       access  a  file  of  uninstalled  package,  auto-apt  will
       install the package containing the file, by using apt-get.

wow!

pete

----- Forwarded message from Charles Baker <rascharles@yahoo.com> -----