[vox-tech] HP & xterm

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:35:34 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jay Strauss wrote:

> How do/can I control the size of the font in my xterm window.

Ctrl-<right_mouse_button>, as it is in most XTerm.  You'll see the fonts
menu pop up, but not all fonts may work (see below.)

> Moreover, is
> this a function of xterm or a function of my x server (my guess its a
> function of xterm).

I think you're right.  However, the fonts themselves come from X so the
fonts should be installed in X.  If XTerm is set to use a certain set of
fonts but your X server can't use them, then XTerm can't use those fonts.

There's a way (in X protocol; I'm not sure if Exceed supports it) to
connect to a remote machine's font server.  See you can setup Exceed to
connect to your remote machine's font server, and make sure the remote
machine is setup to share the font service.  I've never setup a system
like this before so I don't know the steps to getting this setup working,
though.

> When I man xterm I see there is a
> '-fn' where I can set the font (What values can I set this to??) but I don't
> see anything like font size.

Try typing `xlsfonts` on the remote machine.  You can use any fonts
listed.  I like the simple monospace fonts, especially "10x20".
Variable-space fonts won't work very well.  Example:

   xterm -fn 10x20

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim