[vox-tech] sshd dying on debian (potato)

Ajay vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:10:20 -0800

* Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> [011229 15:00], about

:this reminds me of ajay asking why networked printing didn't work.  i
:suggested that he look at /var/log/messages.  i don't think he liked
:that suggestion because it took him a couple of days to get around to
:looking at the logs and said that in the meantime he wanted another
:solution.  nobody offered one.

>-- End of excerpt from Peter Jay Salzman

JUST to clarify!  ;)

I Always look at the log files.  In fact, on my own machine I have tail (or
colortail) -f running of various log files on various consoles.  (or
sometimes on xterms, especially when it's on other systems..)

What I didn't like was putting lpd in verbose mode, because I had already
previously put lpq in verbose mode, and it was INSANE.  I usually find
workarounds to problems (like logging into the print server and printing it,
which also lets me know printing works locally), then get around to fixing
them 'when I have time'/later.
(And I fixed it because I happened to notice it referring to a different
config dir than I had expected, I'm sure someone who didn't realize the
significance of that would have obtained nothing from putting lpr in verbose
mode.)

sshd though isn't as verbose as lpr/LPRng, so putting that in verbose mode
won't be as bad.  That definitely sounds important though, ssh dying that
is.. (more urgent/etc too) Especially considering all the ssh exploits, that
also makes it that much more of a good idea to be running a recent version.
And I'd definitely check (eg google) if many others are having that problem,
it shouldn't be that hard to find.  Heck, just check the ssh list archives
might be best, actually.

	Actually, just realized Bill said potato, so that means ssh1, v1.2.x
(1.2.3 or 1.2.27 prob), and if there are problems with it dying, you should
be able to check the debian list archives, that would definitely be your
best bet, assuming it's not pilot error in some way. ;)
(And the security issue is probably moot if your ssh pkg is up to date,
1.2.3-9.3 it looks like.)

anywho!

	-Ajay

--