[vox-tech] Urgent - Problem in upgradation of RH 7.1 to RH 7. 2 !!

Roland Minden vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:30:52 -0800

To my understanding Red Hat 7.2 runs a modified 2.4.8 Kernal. ext3 is not
native until 2.4.16 (correct Peter?) In addition Red Hat 7.1 didn't use
GRUB. You may want to attempt a new update but skip the GRUB and use LILO.
For one thing most of us are more LILO knowledgeable and for a second GRUB
has in my past bean a real problem IMHO. I have Red Hat 7.2 disks if you
need them, but I am in Sacramento. I can be available this evening after I
stick the turkey in by brine solution :-) Give me a call if you still need
the disks.

Rusty
Home		(916) 564-8035
Office	(916) 286-8999
Fax		(509) 275-2420
Cell		(916) 769-4368

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoffrey Herteg [mailto:gherteg@herteg.net]
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 10:09 AM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Urgent - Problem in upgradation of RH 7.1 to RH
7.2 !!

Sounds like there may not be ext3 support in the kernel you're trying to
boot. Did the upgrade successfully run LILO/Grub before trying to install
all the RPMs?

You may need to boot off of a rescue CD/floppy, get to a prompt and then
mount your old root to something like /mnt.  Then delete the ext3
journalling file, change the root entry in /etc/fstab to ext2 (instead of
ext3) and reboot.

Hope these suggestions help!

-- G