[vox-tech] debian X question

William Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:36:10 -0800

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 03:25:14PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
> i'm treating her as my own...  no, strike that.  i'm treating her as a lugod
> demo box.  i've actually installed X...   ;)

Umm... X, KDE and Gnome were all already on there.  You starting from
scratch?

> ps- gimp and sound already work.  any other requests?  i've already intalled
> "the obvious".  and now that the drive is partitioned sanely, we have lots
> and lots of room for goodies.
<snip>

Strike that last question. :)

Here we go:

  Productivity:
    StarOffice
    KOffice
    Abiword
    Gnumeric
    Gnucash

  Internet:
    Netscape
    Konqueror
    Opera
    Evolution (maybe? *shrug*)

  Multimedia:
    XMMS
    Some good XMMS visualizations
    Some MP3s (legit, please!)
    XMMS MPEG support
    Some MPEG videos

  Games:
    Freeciv
    glTron
    Quake
    Tux Racer
    Myth II
    Search and Rescue
    Parsec demo (maybe)
    Chromium BSU
    Mad Bomber (why not? :) )
    Defendguin (ditto)

Obviously not all of these are _needs,_ many are just good to have.
I'd definitely install KDE2 and KOffice and Konqueror.  Netscape, too.
XMMS and some MP3s.  We can add MPEG stuff later.  At least one 3D game
(probably Tux Racer) would be good.

I can't think of too much else.  Maybe make sure _both_ VIM and Emacs are
on, in case any hardcore Unix users drop by (it happens a lot :) )

-bill!