[vox-tech] debian X question

William Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:21:48 -0800

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 03:14:59PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> ok, henry and bill -- thanks!   :)   on one hand, it sucks that there's no
> "admin tool".  on the other hand, i think i like this way better because it's
> hard remembering the name of all these admin tools that have popped up over
> the years in various distros.  i like having to remember just one thing.
> .xinitrc.   :)
>
> i'll check out kdm.  i assume it's for kde only and gdm is for gnome only and
> xdm is for anything?

Not really... KDM and GDM are pretty interchangable (although, as I said,
KDM seems more configurable).  You can use KDM and GDM to log into
E, FVWM, IceWM, whatever...

It's just that they come with KDE and Gnome, respectively, and use
Qt and GTK+, respectively.

Check freshmeat for alternatives which might be X-based, and still as
all-around useful as KDM.

BTW, you're playing with the Demo box, eh?  Don't break it!  There's a
demo Saturday!  Gimp and sound better still be working by then! :)
*glare*

;)

-bill!