[vox-tech] debian X question

William Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:07:48 -0800

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 03:04:41PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> this really doesn't say anything.
>
> suppose user1 wants enlightenment with gnome, user2 wants enlightenment
> without gnome and user3 wants sawmill with gnome.
>
> what command do they run?

One solution is to run KDM, which lets one choose their windowmanager/etc.
when they log in (and then proceeds to remember that and use it until
they change it later).

Of course, if you don't want a *DM...

> or is the Debian Way to modify your ~/.xinitrc explicitly?

Yes, you'd want to tweak these guys.  And as for the best way about it,
I dunno.  I stick with *DMs.  (GDM on my Gnome box at work and on Melissa's
Gnome box at home, and KDM on my KDE box at home - BTW, KDM appears more
flexible (surprise, surprise)... XDM is butt-ugly... there are other
alternatives I've never used (see Freshmeat.net))

-bill!