[vox-tech] LPRng ?

Ajay vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:16:39 -0800

Hi again,

* Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> [011217 13:53], about

:ok.  but that should be the starting point.   :)

No doubt. ;)

: there *has* to be logs on the server.  on debian, it should go under
: /var/log/daemons.

I don't know why there aren't any logs.  syslog has them listed, printcap
has them listed, I'm not sure.  I'll look at that later though.  (yes,
Debian of course.)

:3. run the spooler daemon with whatever verbose switches there are.
:4. try to run the job on the client machine.  see what happens.

So yeah, I ran it from the console, debugging too.  This worked and didn't.
It worked as expected, major verbosity (just like running lpd/lp w/
verbosity.  Aye!), aka that was annoying. ;)

	But it had the chance side benefit of making a reference to
/etc/lprng/printcap.  "Huh?!" I said?  Then I looked at /etc/lprng, saw the
aforementioned lpd.conf and lpd.perms files.  I was wondering why those
files were missing before!  (So I hide now!)
(And of course, diff /etc/lpd.perms from Deb2.2 vs /etc/lprng/lpd.perms
(Progeny 1.0 install), two lines added to latter, what's the important one?
'REJECT NOT SERVER/'.)  HM!  Arg.  Ack.  Eek!

I think 'using the source' is different from 'reading the logs', if people
actually suggest debugging by reading source, that's.. weird.  I actually
did do that a little (since it showed up many times in my google search!),
and there were many reasons 'no connect permissions' would show up, as I
recall.  But anyways.

And LPRng doesn't seem to read its log files on the fly, so I did kill the
one on the console, and then I just started it up using its startup script.

One thing I thought was kind of curious was that, in the verbose logging,
the request said it was coming from my public IP address, instead of my 10.
IP address.  (The server in question is ONLY the print server.)
(Obviously that doesn't make much sense since that shouldn't work, if it
wasn't responding back to a 10. IP, but.. I have a mildly funny config, so
maybe that's why. ;)

:nah.  already written.  :-)   i've been reading a book on .procmail that i
:got at nerdbooks.  it gets high recommendations; i'm thinking the club should
:have a copy for loans.  it's that good.

>-- End of excerpt from Peter Jay Salzman

Hmm, I'm semi-curious to see your recipe.  The one I have works via formail
-r, so it includes their entire email, then at the bottom puts "don't send
html", which isn't completely effective, and I haven't gotten around to
playing with it yet.

So yeah, thanks again for the help guys, and arg on Debian for moving paths
between releases.  (At least, I assume the /etc/lprng is a woody-ism)  Well,
Whatever.  I ramble now.  late!

	-Ajay

(Ohh, and only need to reply to the procmail one, if you do prob chg the
subject, rest is me just rambling. ;)

--
Milpitas, ca	atallam@telocity.net	HempVille, Planet Talarian
			http://os2man.cjb.net/pictures/