[vox-tech] deb mirror

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:54:56 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Matt Roper wrote:

> If you're only running three machines and a lot of the packages that they
> use are the same, maybe you should look at the apt-proxy package.  I've
> never used this package, but it's my understanding that you have all of
> your computers point at one machine running apt-proxy.  Whenever one of
> those machines requests a package, it will be cached at the apt-proxy
> server in case another machine needs it later.  This means you don't
> waste space mirroring packages that you don't care about and will never
> use.
>
> I've been thinking about using this myself, but haven't had a chance to
> set it up yet.  If you try it, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

Cool, that sounds like a much better solution. I was thinking of mirroring
also so that I could do fast(er) network installs, if some poor unsuspecting
soul^W^W^Wfriend came over and wanted linux installed. However, apt-proxy
should be a bit friendlier on my file system :)

I'll test that out tonight and post a little blurb about it to the list.

-Gabe