[vox-tech] X login screen

Matt Roper vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:22:02 -0800

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:30:58PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > 1) how do I make it so I get the console login screen (for some reason I
> > thought I change the run
> > level (but that didn't work)).
>
> apt-get remove xdm
>
> or /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm /etc/rc2.d/s99xdm

If you have KDE or Gnome installed, you may need to get rid of kdm/gdm
instead.

    rm /etc/rc2.d/S99?dm
      or
    chmod -x /etc/rc2.d/S99?dm

should do the trick.

By the way, changing the runlevel in /etc/inittab only applies to
RedHat-based distributions since they use inittab tell init to
automatically respawn [x/k/g]dm while running in a certain runlevel.
Debian takes a different approach and uses the SysV init files in
/etc/rc#.d to start the login manager a single time.  If the login
manager dies under Debian, it won't automatically be respawned like it
does in RH-based distros.

Matt