[vox-tech] Peters Kernal Update and a Few Questions

Marc Hasbrouck vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:02:38 -0800 (PST)

I'm currenty using a Linksys cable/DSL firewall router
device. It's available in both a 1 LAN port and 4 LAN
port flavor. Programming is by a small web server that
answers only to the LAN side in the default
configuration. SMC also has a similar device with 4
LAN ports and can support a regular modem as well as a
cable or DSL unit. Both will do MAC address cloning
and NAT. They also can run a DHCP server. I've used
both brands and they seem to work fine. I still run
firewall software on windows and lock down my Linux
box, just in case the hardware firewall is not good
enough.

You will need a windows system to do BIOS updates on
either device, as the update program is windows based.
WINE might work here, I haven't tried that.

Good luck,
Marc