[vox-outreach] Child Dev Conf status

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Apr 22 08:23:43 PDT 2008

Ok, some various status updates for our booth at
the Yolo County Child Development Conference in Davis...
which takes place THIS SATURDAY, April 26th!
( http://www.lugod.org/projects/yccdc/ )

== FLYERS ==    Status: IN GOOD SHAPE

I've created a third handout for the event this Saturday.
Henry said he'd go to Kinkos today to make copies of them all.
I'll also dig around the LUGOD box for some of our older handouts
(Nick currently has the LUGOD box from last night's meeting, btw.)

== DISCS ==    Status: NEEDS WORK

I have a dozen blank discs and sleeves to Chris Horsting at last
night's meeting.  I'm not sure if anyone took any of the remaining
blanks before the end of the meeting (Nick?).

Chris (and others), see: http://www.lugod.org/projects/yccdc/
for some ideas of stuff to burn.  (Also keep an eye out on another
email from Alex Mandel, who said he keeps track of OSS discs.)

Jessica, you also said you can burn discs - need blanks?
(Or, worst case, perhaps LUGOD can reimburse you if you buy your
own -- might be quicker than having Henry or I go buy some and
drop them off!)

== SIGN ==    Status: IN GOOD SHAPE

Henry also put an order in for a 66"x30" vinyl sign.  Hopefully it'll be
ready before Saturday.

== HARDWARE ==    Status: IN GOOD SHAPE

Jessica said she can bring both an ASUS EeePC subnotebook, and
a laptop running Edubuntu.

I'll bring my Kubuntu laptop for the hours I'm there.

Neal K. has offered to lend me an OLPC XO-1 laptop ("$100 laptop").
If he can get it to me before Saturday, I'll bring it to the event, too.

Henry, what's the state of the LUGOD demo machine? (Other than sitting
in our living room? :^) )  Is it worth resurrecting for this event,
or should we be satisfied with the 3+ laptops that are coming?

== STAFFING ==    Status: NEEDS WORK

So far, we have four people lined up:

* Me - NOT after 2:30
* Alex Mandel - ???
* Jessica - NOT setup
* Nick Schmalenberger - After 10am

I can try to be there for setup, but will likely have my baby son
for a lot of the morning, so it would be VERY beneficial that
someone else was there, so I don't have to try to move boxes and
a stroller at the same time, and can get up and wander off with
him if he gets bored sitting at the booth with me. :)

FYI, we can have two people behind the table at a time.
I guess if there are 3 or more of us at the event at any time,
the others can wander around and take in the other booths,
and maybe evangelize to them. ;^)

Alex - when can you staff?  And who else out here is interested
in helping with this event?

== BOOTH SUPPLIES ==    Status: IN GOOD SHAPE, I THINK

As mentioned above, we need people to be there before 8:30am to
set up.  (Can get there as early as 7:30am.)

Supply-wise, table and chairs will be provided.  We should
figure out how to attach the vinyl sign to our booth/table.
I'll contact Tamiko at Child Care Services to find out what
she thinks would make the most sense.

The LUGOD box has thumbtacks/pushpins, adhesive tape, and some
colored whiteboard markers and I think highlighters.

Can anyone think of anything else we might need?

Thanks all!

-bill!
pr at lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/