[vox-outreach] Software Freedom Day results

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Sep 16 14:17:19 PDT 2007

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> LUGOD had a successful demo booth at yesterday's Farmers Market,
> as part of Software Freedom Day.  Nick Schmalenberger and Grace brought a
> table and LUGOD's demo computer, and they, Alex Mandel and Henry House set
> up the booth.  I joined them to help staff it later.
>
> Alex burned some giveaway CDs of Ubuntu and Knoppix.  Together with those,
> we had some leftover Knoppix, FreeSMUG and Helix (and Ubuntu?) discs.
> There were flyers for this Monday's KDRT presentation and October's
> Google visit, as well as some leftover flyers on OSS (with example
> software), OSS and Linux in Schools, and "Who is LUGOD?", which we handed
> out a lot of.
>
> At one point, we spoke to each of the folks running for Davis School Board
> who had booths at the Market, and told them about us, OSS and Linux,
> and encouraged them to look into it.
>
> Valley Oaks Elementary School on E 8th is apparently being closed due to low
> enrollment, and there's a group trying to turn it into a charter 'tech'
> school -- apparently, each student would get a laptop.  We encouraged
> them to look into OSS and Linux as well, and they seemed quite excited
> to meet us, and want to start a dialog.
>
> Anyway, thanks to everyone who made this possible!  I'll post photos
> from Alex and I when I get the chance...

Also thank Henry for burning a good deal of CDs.

Here's my followup report on all the different FOSS Cds out there right
now, of which almost every single one came out with a new version this
month. The notable thing is only one contains a liveCD, and is a
derivative of theOpenCD.

Also most of these are under 600MB which makes them good candidates for
those donated CDRWs we got in May

Name - Platform - Licensing - Site - Last Release
F Suite CD - Mac(Intel & PPC versions) - FOSS - www.freesumg.org - 0709
The Open CD - Win - FOSS - http://theopencd.org/ - 0709
Software for Starving Students - Mac & Win - Free(OSS and Freeware) -
http://softwarefor.org/ - 0709
OSSWIN - Win - FOSS -http://www.ttcsweb.org/osswin-cd/ -ver1.8  on 0709
Open Source Free CD - Win/Bootable Slax LiveCD -Free(OSS and Freeware)-
http://www.opensourcefreecd.org/ -4PointZero

Alex