[vox-outreach] [education@wef.ucdavis.edu: Re: [Fwd: booth application]]

Harold Lee harold at hotelling.net
Thu Apr 19 14:51:53 PDT 2007

The message from the WEF Education email seems to have missed the
freedom, social justice and community building aspects of Open Source
software. As computers become more and more integral to daily life, we
need to ensure there are computing options available that are not
controlled by corporate or government interests. Open Source software
empowers people to express themselves, explore, share and discover in
ways that no other software does.

Consider that many software license agreements have clauses that say:
* If you do not like our software, you may not publically critisize it.
* If you measure how well the software works, you may not share that
information.
* You may not look at how the software works.
* Your right to use the software may be revoked for no reason, at any
time, without a refund.

It is not safe to write these terms off saying "Yeah, but they'd never
enforce them." When Microsoft was unhappy with the number of illegal
copies of Windows being used in South Korea, they threatened the South
Korean government that they'd take Microsoft software away from all of
South Korea - legal users as well as illegal users.

With Open Source / Free software, nobody can take away your right to use
it, or tell you how you may or may not use it, or what you can say about it.

 From the WEF page [ wef.ucdavis.edu ]:

"The mission of the Whole Earth Festival is to envision and create a
community driven festival of education, music, and art." ... "We will
rely on each other more and rely on corporations and oil less"

I think software is a critical area for people to consider if they want
to fulfill this mission.

Consider also that using Open Source software like Linux also helps the
environment. Because this software is more efficient, computers need to
be replaced less often, saving the environment from the heavy metals and
other toxic chemicals that are in computer hardware. Linux has far
better support for old hardware than commercial operating systems.

Look at the requirement for Windows and Linux:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(Linux_distribution)#System_requirements

Windows requires 512 MB of RAM, and recommends 1024 MB to use all
features. By contrast, Ubuntu Linux only asks for 256 MB of RAM for the
same functionality. That means less consumerism and less harsh chemicals
in the environment.