[vox-outreach] [demo][farmer market] OpenCD Copies

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Sep 12 12:27:47 PDT 2006

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 10:52:46PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> Well I meant Ryan with the Robot duplicator. But new problem. I
>> downloaded the Freesmug.dmg image and figured I should convert it to iso
>> and burn. dmg2iso.pl failed and I couldn't get dmgextractor.jar to run.
>> So I copied the file to my friend's Mac and he tried to burn it at which
>> point it said that the image was 768 MB. The file is really 668 MB and
>> the md5 checks.
>> At this point I'm not sure what to do. On my friends Mac we mounted the
>> original dmg and it does contain Directories filled with other dmg
>> files. So I could just burn the file onto a CD instead of burning the
>> image to disk. I just wasn't sure if this would be too complicated for
>> some users.
>
> Can you try to extract all of the smaller DMGs out of the big DMG (on the Mac),
> and then burn those to a disc, and duplicate it?
>
> (To simply reduce it by one step.)
>
> If not, I GUESS it's ok to just burn one big DMG file onto a disc, and
> let the Mac people navigate into it.  Dunno if that'd eat a lot of RAM, or
> what.  I don't really know how DMGs are handled... I figure they're kind of
> like using a loopback to mount an ISO filesystem on Linux.

That's exactly what my plan was, except the files once extracted from
the disk image are bigger than a cd. DMG is a compressed disk image.

So Jimbo there is no iso & don't worry about burning them I can do it
tonight(I have 2 burners on a fast machine and a spindle of blanks), I
was just trying to solve this odd space issue first.

If someone picks off what flyers and how many I can start printing those
tonight too.

Alex