[vox-outreach] GTC Update

Rob Rogers vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 May 2004 20:54:06 -0500

The booth is all set up. Matthew, Seth and I all got there right around
1pm. The first half of setup went pretty quickly, not much but seting up
the tables and laying out some discs. Jimbo was kind enough to drive
down to Davis to pick up the stuff that I wasn't able to get last week
because it was being used at WEF (demo machine, GnuWin CDs, chairs,
etc.) When Seth and I got back from lunch, all the stuff was sitting
there waiting for us. We got the demo machine set up and made sure it
booted, and that was pretty much it for today's setup.

I forgot to bring the LUGOD banner, but I'll be in tomorrow morning
around 8am to finish setup. I'm also going to borrow the 17" monitor
from my wife's computer (she only uses it about once every other week).
That should look much better than the 14" or 15" we've got now.

Matthew said he's not going to be able to make it tomorrow. That still
leaves us with 3 confirmed people per shift tomorrow, not counting
myself. He did say he could do it Thursday though, which has lower
coverage anyways, and IIRC, Seth said he may also show up Thursday. This
should give us a minimum of 3 confirmed volunteers per shift, with the
exception of Friday morning, which has two. (but IIRC, that was the
slowest day anyways)

P.S. I just got back from Best Buy. I picked up a 100 pack of double
sided loose CD sleeves (The clear plastic kind with a divider, like
you'd find in a CD binder) which should be nice for giving away Knoppix
and GnuWin discs together. Those Knoppix discs look too nice to be
hidden away in a paper sleeve like they are.

P.P.S. Since Bill is out of town this year, I've volunteered to be the
local volunteer coordinator, and he graciously accepted. ;-O I'll be at
the booth when the doors open on Wed., and I'm going to try to be there
for the start the other two days too. If anything goes wrong ($DIETY
forbid), or you're the only person there for a shift, or whatever, don't
hesitate to call me. My cell number is 916-502-6555. (I'll try and
remember to leave it written down at the booth too, just in case.)