[vox-outreach] Article: 'Linux in action: A public library's success story'

Jonathan Stickel vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 05 May 2004 11:58:07 -0700

Richard Crawford wrote:
> Bill Kendrick said:
>
>>Linux in action: A public library's success story
>>Newsforge, Wednesday May 05, 2004
>>
>>  http://www.newsforge.com/os/04/05/03/1520209.shtml
>

> [snip]
>

>>Considering the state of the Davis Public Library's computers (pop-up
>>ads come up, computers crash and are unusable, etc.), I'd love for us to
>>try to convince Yolo County to consider Open Source alternatives! :^)
>

> I sent a copy to the librarian in Dixon, where I'm on the Library
> Commission.  I'm planning on building a "proof of concept" box out of
> LuMiX if the library can spare me an old computer.

Why build Linux from scratch, or use some low-profile distribution?
Bill has shown it to be possible to build a secure kiosk with Debian,
and I'm sure gentoo would fit the bill as well.

I have a 333mhz computer I'd like put to good use.  This project is as
good as any.  In fact, I am would be very willing, and excited, to help
with a Linux project in either a library or a school.  I feel both
publicly funded institutions should be socially obligated to use open
source.

Jonathan