[vox-outreach] Speaker possibility as GTC

Mark K. Kim vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:56:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:50:13PM -0700, Michael Wenk wrote:
> > So you'll need to show that first it is not as steep a learning
> > curve as they think it is, and second that if their personnell need training
> > its available and costs are reasonable(Are they?)
>
> I was asking myself that with regard to the "MS Office 2003 vs. OO.org"
> comparison article on eWeek (mentioned by Slashdot today, I believe).
>
> One of the cons they listed for OOo was lack of support, since it's
> "volunteer driven."  All you get is disconnected online resources.  *shrug*

Paid telephone support through layers and layers of touchtone menus only
to get through to someone in India who reads off of trouble-shooting
charts vs. free e-mail support with the people that actually wrote the
software...  Yeah, no support alright...  -_-'

> Is this actually true?  Are there not companies which provide commercial
> support for OOo (and StarOffice), at a price?  (Just as you'd pay for MSOffice)

You can buy StarOffice from Sun so I gather they give support as well...

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius