[vox-outreach] Letter to local schools - draft

Rod Roark vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:06:06 -0700

On Thursday 16 October 2003 11:00 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:53:14PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > Minor suggested corrections are inline below.
>
> Thanks so much! :^)

It's the least I can do.  :-)

> <snip>
> > > Open Source provides people with the ability to share ideas and work
> > > together freely.  It's like the scientific method, which works well
> >                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >                     Open sharing of ideas and results
>
> Ooh, argh... I like the term "scientific method" in there.  I get this
> feeling that the phrase will be something they, as educators, can relate to.
> (Not that "Open sharing of ideas" isn't, but it's not a phrase that's
> said a lot. ;^) )

The problem is, that's not the Scientific Method.  As I
recall, the SM refers to the practice of changing only one
variable in an experiment at a time, to carefully determine
cause and effect.

-- Rod