[Vox-Outreach] Adopt-A-Highway

Mike Simons vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 16:41:58 -0400

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:36:53PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:02:56AM -0700, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote:
> > Up spake Peter Jay Salzman on Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:21:47AM -0700:
> > > does anybody know what entails adopting a highway?  is it money?
> > > garbage pickup?
> >=20
> > Money in lieu of garbage pickup, I believe.
>=20
>   I will check... but I think the orgs pay Caltrans money to clean up
> the roads in exchange for the advertising.
>=20
>   I would be surprised if people can volunteer do the highway clean=20
> themselves.  I've never seen road crews in CA that look like normal
> people on the highway... to me they normally look like community service
> sentences.
>   If it is possible to do the labor, I can imagine we will get even 5
> people to show up to clean even a 2 mile segment of highway.

  It took an amazingly long time to get a reply back from my phone calls
to the adopt-a-highway people... turns out that talking to the DMV booth
at GTC is actually the channel I got useful replies from first.

  It turns out that volunteers can do the cleaning themselves, and this=20
appears to be the preferred method.  However, organizations can also
contract with professional firms to do the tasks instead... in some
locations professional contractors are required.

Available activities:
  Participation can include one or more of the following activities.
  - Removing litter (work frequency varies with location).
  - Planting and establishing trees, or wildflowers.
  - Removing graffiti.
  - Controlling vegetation.

  The literature seems to indicate that "advertising of a group" is=20
*not* a valid use of the program... but I think it will be okay that
we get a nice sign out of this.

  The program is very formal in duties and responsibilities of the groups
that do this work... in that a designated coordinator is required to
undergo safety training, safety equipment must be used at all times,=20
notice must be given to Caltrans people before clean up days, etc...
nothing seems to be a show stopper.

The following brochure does a good overview of the program:
  http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/adopt/AAHBrochure602.pdf

The CA website for this program is:
  http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/

  I'm willing to handle coordination of this sort of activity...
but I *require* 5 Lugod members who are not me or Bill to agree to help
clean at least 4 times a year, before I start any paperwork...

- Any volunteers?

--=20

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb--