[Vox-Outreach] Need more CD burns!

Mike Simons vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 May 2003 16:25:00 -0400

--vkJ987n7uXEPtlXE

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:13:07AM -0700, Michael Wenk wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2003 11:30 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, what seems to be the failure rate?
> > (That is, how many discs seem to come out bad?)
>=20
> Out the of the batch I sent in, I had 2 discs fail(which is around 4%.) =
=20
> Lately it seems higher, but that was because I was burning them on a syst=
em=20
> with a faster CD burner, but slowing the burn speed back down seems to ha=
ve=20
> corrected that problem.  I figure it have around 4% failure rate or so wh=
en=20
> its all over.

  Wow... I didn't expect that many failures, I've not burned disks... in
the last 4 years.  I'm just surprised.

> > How long does it take to test?  I'm not completely opposed to handing o=
ut
> > a few discs that might not boot, if it means being able to have a LOT m=
ore
> > discs on-hand.  If people have problems, they know how to get ahold of =
us.

  I would prefer the disks be verified before the event... I feel
terrible telling people about all the great things the disk can do to
have to follow it up with ... "oops, we gave you a dud".  *especially*
when people give us donations.

  I had a few people give us donations at WEF after I gave them disks...
it goes something like:
=3D=3D=3D
them: Oh so these disks are free?!?
me:   Yes they are free, but if you have any money and want to give us a
      donation you can put it in that jar right there... <me points>
them: okay, great.  <they pull out wallet and put in money>
me:   Well if you are going to give a donation, let me trade you for one
      of the better CDs, <me looks for one of Michael Wenk's burned CDs>...
=3D=3D=3D

  I *really* don't want people to be donating to get a disk that can not
work because it's a coaster.  I did randomly test on of the none Mike W,
disks and found it to be a dud... couldn't even mount it as a ISO filesyste=
m.

> I _barely_ qualify it as testing, as I don't test=20
> each of the apps, or anything like that... The reason it is a pain, is=20
> because while I'm burning, normally I'm doing stuff on the XP system.  Bu=
t=20
> all in all, I think the testing is a good thing to do...=20

- Have you considered doing a CD Verify step?
  (either in a cd-rom drive or=20
   on another machine that does not have the burner attached)
  =20
  I would expect this is much more reliable because it does a complete
disk read of all blocks... the disk image could have thousands of
bad blocks and still boot.

- Which cd burning program are you using to make the disks?

--=20

--vkJ987n7uXEPtlXE

--vkJ987n7uXEPtlXE--