[Vox-Outreach] URGENT, OOo CDs needed for GTC West conference May 14-16.

Paul Miller vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 May 2003 13:17:41 -0700

--============_-1159351832==_ma============

Hi all,

Due to an unfortunate mixup, I need your help now. The OpenOffice.org
CDs I expected to get from Sun may not be delivered in time for LUGODs

http://www.lugod.org/

booth 945 at GTC West

http://www.govtech.net/gtc/?pg=conference&confid=76

May 14-16 in Sacramento.

"
Government Technology Conference is the largest and most respected
technology conference for state and local government.

Designed by Government-for-Government, GTC delivers a cutting-edge
educational program addressing the most important policy, management
and technology issues facing government today.

GTC provides an unbiased forum for government professionals and the
IT industry to openly discuss and develop solutions for the public
sector.
"

  This is a once a year significant opportunity to grow the open
source community by educating government IT professionals at a time
of severe budget shortfall.

If any California based folk can help me burn OOo CDs for Windows or
contribute obsolete but usable labeled OOo CDs, GTC West is a great
opportunity to  help.  We plan to encourage open standards by
distributing OOo to the good people who spend our tax dollars. The
following is needed at LUGOD booth May 14-16.

1. Labeled OOo distribution CDs from 1.0.1 up.
2. Appropriate OOo CD labels as found here
http://marketing.openoffice.org/graphics/cd/

3. An estimated 200 Hand labeled Windows 1.1beta CDs with autostart
as described by Alex as follows

>From: Alex Fisher <alexf-ooo@hypermax.net.au>
>Paul,
>
>If you do "roll your own", you might like to put the autorun files and the
>other installation guides on it as well. Take a look around the temporary
>location at http://www.hypermax.net.au/~user/settantta/ooo and grab what
>you'd like. I recommend you at least grab the following:
>
>shellrun.exe
>autorun.inf
>default.html
>Setup.html
>unicows.exe (but since most of your target are probably running 2000 or XP, it
>probably isn't needed).
>
>You'll need to grab the /img directory and its contents too...
>
>This would give you an auto-starting CD under windows, with the setup
>guides...

In spite of our Linux user base, I will focus on a Windows
distribution because virtually all government IT people have to use
Windows and OOo is an excellent way to get immediate broad acceptance
for open source  applications.

I apologise for the late notice and the stress of this last minute
effort.  Ideas for further coordination are welcomed since I live
"way up country" over 75 miles from typical LUGOD outreach activities
8^)

Ideas, suggestions?

Best to all,
Paul Miller
OpenOffice Booth Babe for GTC West 2003
LUGOD member

---
Contact info:

Paul Miller
PO Box 7 (regular mail)
5748 Spanish Dry Diggins Road (UPS delivery)
Georgetown CA, 95634 (50 road miles northeast of Sacramento)
(530) 333-1353

--============_-1159351832==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>URGENT, OOo CDs needed for GTC West conference May
OpenOffice.org CDs I expected to get from Sun may not be delivered in
time for LUGODs</div>
Technology Conference is the largest and most respected technology
conference for state and local government.<br>
Designed by Government-for-Government, GTC delivers a cutting-edge
educational program addressing the most important policy, management
and technology issues facing government today.</font><br>
unbiased forum for government professionals and the IT industry to
openly discuss and develop solutions for the public
sector.</font></div>
open source community by educating government IT professionals at a
time of severe budget shortfall.</div>
or contribute obsolete but usable labeled OOo CDs, GTC West is a great
opportunity to&nbsp; help.&nbsp; We plan to encourage open standards
by distributing OOo to the good people who spend our tax dollars. The
following is needed at LUGOD booth May 14-16.</div>
http://marketing.openoffice.org/graphics/cd/</div>
autostart as described by Alex as follows</div>
&lt;alexf-ooo@hypermax.net.au&gt;</blockquote>
If you do &quot;roll your own&quot;, you might like to put the autorun
files and the<br>
other installation guides on it as well. Take a look around the
temporary<br>
location at http://www.hypermax.net.au/~user/settantta/ooo and grab
what<br>
you'd like. I recommend you at least grab the following:<br>
shellrun.exe<br>
autorun.inf<br>
default.html<br>
Setup.html<br>
unicows.exe (but since most of your target are probably running 2000
or XP, it<br>
probably isn't needed).<br>
You'll need to grab the /img directory and its contents too...<br>
This would give you an auto-starting CD under windows, with the
setup</blockquote>
distribution because virtually all government IT people have to use
Windows and OOo is an excellent way to get immediate broad acceptance
for open source&nbsp; applications.</div>
minute effort.&nbsp; Ideas for further coordination are welcomed since
I live &quot;way up country&quot; over 75 miles from typical LUGOD
outreach activities 8^)</div>
Sacramento)</div>