[Vox-Outreach] Pinging govt places about GTC

Paul Miller vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 2 May 2003 22:04:56 -0700

Hi all,

>Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 02:31:38 -0700
>From: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
>To: LUGOD Outreach <vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org>
>Subject: [Vox-Outreach] Pinging govt places about GTC
>

>My friend John worked on a government tech. magazine, so I asked him if
>he knew any good places to contact about the Government Tech. Conference
>we'll be at.
>
>Here's the list.  I've put "*"s next to ones that I think would be
>especially good to get a flyer or some other info. out to:
>
>   Administrative Hearings
>   Energy Management
>* Executive Office
>   Fiscal Services
>   Fleet Administration
>   Human Resources
>   Legal Services
>* Legislation
>* Procurement
>   Public School Construction
>   Real Estate Services
>   Risk and Insurance Management
>* Statewide eGovernment Initiatives Office   <-- ESPECIALLY this one [1]
>   Small Business & DVBE Certification
>   State Architect
>* State Publishing
>* Telecommunications
>

>What do people think?  A lot of these seem to have the same address, BTW,
>so sending one copy would PROBABLY suffice, unless we really wanted to
>stand out to them.  (See "*"'d ones, above :) )
>
>-bill!
>[1] http://www.einitiatives.dgs.ca.gov/default.html

This is a topic I am quite interested in.

I talked to one official in the state who told me that there are
about 175 agencies in the state.  Each has quite a bit of autonomy as
far as IT goes.  The state fairly decentralized most authority for
purchasing.  However, I would expect a lot of resistance from the
legal departments of all these agencies because they have not thought
of how open source fits in with risk management.

Contacting these agencies now, before the June budget deadline is
good timing.  According to the recent news, many of the state people
may be working for minimum wage while the budget issues get sorted
out. They will doubtless be in the mood to save money in an area not
associated with salaries.

There are 300,000 state employees.  If they were to cut the $100
annual licensing cost for Microsoft Office out of the budget by
switching to open source it could save up to $30 million per year.
Not to mention that fact that counties and special districts would
all follow suit to help their budgets.  Of course there are many
other well tested open standards based applications the state
agencies could authorize internal IT groups to use such as Apache,
Bind, SendMail...

There is a growing collection of studies on the use of open source in
government both here and abroad that should be brought to the state's
attention at all levels. Here is a link to a site that has a nice
collection.
http://www.asiaosc.org/enwiki/page/Ideas_for_OSS_policy.html

Is anyone trying to develop a list of contacts in the state?  Many
government employees are fairly accessible by a local phone call. How
about elected representatives and appointed officials?

Is such a project the group is willing to spend time on?

If not, realize every citizen has an obligation to support the
government besides just taxes.  In my opinion, calling up state
people and engaging in constructive dialog about open source is a
form of support.

Recording the results of conversations where state employees express
interest would be a good start at dialog.  If we were to share the
phone numbers of interested agencies/officials we could avoid some
duplication and focus where we may get results.  Perhaps a published
scorecard ranking the better prospects?

At the very least, we should be get peoples cards at the GTC
conference and put them in a database for followup by those who have
the time and interest.  Realize it usually takes many contacts before
most people 'buy' andything regardless of price.  However, the
contacts do not have to be by the same person.

Best,
Paul