[Vox-Outreach] Article: Microsoft Removal 101

Mike Simons vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:18:11 -0400

--brEuL7wsLY8+TuWz

  This article is talking about what issues stop companies from
switching away from Windows in swarms and what type of things motivate
a few to do it.

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21694.html

=3D=3D=3D
Microsoft Removal 101
[...]
Making the Switch

Despite all the hurdles, there are companies defying the odds.
Guitar-string manufacturer Ernie Ball was highly motivated to become
Windows-free: Three years ago, it had to pay US$90,000 because 8 percent
of its Microsoft software was "noncompliant," or pirated. Microsoft
subsequently ran a press release and an ad campaign around Ernie Ball's
infringement. Infuriated by how the company was treated, Ernie Ball
executives decided to clean house.

Given 120 days to become compliant, Ernie Ball's IT department
investigated Linux and Sun Microsystems (Nasdaq: SUNW) solutions for its
80 end users. "We wanted to get away from the personal desktop," Jeff
Whitmore, IT manager at Ernie Ball, told NewsFactor.=20
[...]
Hardware Savings

According to Ernie Ball's estimate, in the first year it saved $90,000
that it would have spent upgrading desktop machines for Windows and
buying new Windows licenses. "Most of our machines worked fine as thin
clients, but they wouldn't have been able to run the newer Windows
stuff," Whitmore said.=20
=3D=3D=3D

--=20

--brEuL7wsLY8+TuWz