[Vox-Outreach] LWE - signing us up!

Sun, 20 Apr 2003 01:53:51 -0700

Ok, unless people tell me otherwise, I'm going to mail out the
signed application for a booth at the LinuxWorld ".org Pavillion"
on Monday.

I'm reading the contract/rules, and there a few points I want to emphasize:

  "Exhibitor may not... exhibit, offer for sale, or advertise articles
  not manufactured or sold by the exhibiting company, except where such
  articles are necessary for proper demonstration or operation of the
  exhibitor's display, in which case the identification shall be limited to
  the manufacturer's normal, regular nameplate..."

I guess this means no giving out No Starch, O'Reilly or NerdBooks swag? :^)

  "If an Exhibitor fails to occupy their space by August 5, 2003, 8:00am,
  such space may be taken by LinuxWorld Conference and Expo, and
  re-allocated or re-assigned..."

This probably means that at least one of us will need to be there bright and
early on the 5th...

...although, since the Expo hours are 10am-5pm on Tuesday, it may be that
we can set up the day before (August 4th, when the Conference is going, but
the Expo is not) and can just show up before 10am on the 5th.

I'll ask about that. :^)

  "No Exhibitor shall be allowed to dismantle their booth prior to the
  closing of the show on August 7, 2003 at 4:00pm..."

This means we'll need to be staff the ENTIRE time.  It makes sense, of course.
But it's definitely more formal than, for example, Whole Earth Festival.

There's a clause in here about insurance that I'm not entirely clear on, too:

  "10. Insurance.  The Exhibitor and appointed display companies agree to
  obtain via their means adequate personal and propery damage liability
  (general liability) and worker's compensation insurance.  The insurance is
  also to include adequate fire and theft coverage for the exhibitor's
  owned or leased propery while in premises at the exposition.  The insurance
  will name IDG World Expo, International Data Group, their officers, agents,
  directors, and employees as additional insureds.  The Exhibitor appointed
  display companies agree to furnish a Certificate of Insurance to
  LinuxWorld Conference and Expo within 30 days prior to occupancy.
  The insurance is to cover the full period of occupancy in the facility.
  The exhibitor is required to supply Show Management a Certificate of
  Insurance upon request."

Actually... before I ask the IDG guy, I'll ask some other .org exhibitors
I know.

  "Exhibitor representatives are restricted to personnel engaged in the
  display, demonstration [...].  Booth personnel shall wear "exhibitor"
  badge identification furnished by LinuxWorld Conference and Expo at all
  times while they are in the exhibit area.  All other employees and
  representatives of exhibiting companies must register as Show Attendees...

This sounds like we'll need to have a definite set of exhibitors lined up,
since I'm guessing the 'Exhibitor' ID badges have names, and therefore
(technically) can't be swapped around when we change hands at the booth.

So far, I've gotten about 3 volunteers come forward.  I'm guessing we can
get a lot more between now and August.

In the meantime, I think it's time to start worrying about Whole Earth. :^)

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/