[vox-if] January IF report, any upcoming planned?

Christopher James McKenzie mckenzie at cs.ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 15 11:42:32 PST 2008

Alex and I talked last night ... and we agreed on March 2nd.  Called
Melinda today, it's done.

As far as publicity - it works ... it really does.  Getting people to do
it ... well now, this is an entirely different affair.

Trying to get the CS Club on campus involved has been a dismal failure.
Maybe some lateral organization could support us... for instance,
perhaps Linux is really used in say, botany, and there are wonderful
botany applications (theoretical) - then perhaps going to the botany
club could be the best way to get a staff for publicity.

That's promotion from a user side;  People are passionate about their
field, and if linux helps them explore their field, then they can be
passionate about getting other people in similar fields to also use it...

There is also promotion from a politics side, which people are *so*
passionate about, that every few decades they start going to war over
it.  Anyway, this has to be done *with extreme caution* however, for
fear that we associate with a pariah.

What we would really be looking for is a more anarchist or community
oriented group.  This would include people like the Greens and the
Libertarians - whom I've met a lot of through Linux related projects.
Maybe even bike church/SSA people since they are pretty strong on
communities.

.. anyway, those are some ideas ..