[vox-if] How'd it go?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Oct 23 18:39:49 PDT 2006

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> So, how did this weekend's IF go!? :)

Seemed pretty good, although Chris/Seth can give you the numbers. Not a
huge turnout but decent.

We had a late night adventure though, eventually having to come up with
an alternate plan that involved going to Steve's to get a hard
drive(thank you Steve) to dump data onto which I could then take home
and burn to DVD. Thanks to 2 patient installees, one who was kind enough
to hold the data during the day while we tried to find a way to put it
back and the other who kept us fed so we'd make sure the data got back.
Everyone thank windows for the headache.

I think we learned some lessons, next time we plan to have:
1. An Extra hard drive in an machine or external case, for dumping and
rescuing data.
-If it's a box we might load one Flavor and have several other common
flavors running in Qemu to help people choose what they want.
--Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, Mandriva (Open to suggestions)
---I'm willing to help set this up if people have hardware to throw in.
----I have a case, but the power supply is bad.

2. The latest Helix disc with ntfs-3g (I had 1.7 which has captive-ntfs
and that didn't quite work)

3. A prebuilt Samba config that works
 - I have one that I plan to bring which allows any windows user read
only access to the specified path.

Thanks to all who helped, and to the Masters of Installfests Chris & Seth,

Alex