[vox-if] GENTOO

Jonathan Stickel vox-if@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:01:03 -0800

I can vouch for the binary gentoo install.  I just installed the latest
(1.4) on a Pentium III machine in my office.  Like most fresh installs,
I had the basics plus KDE up and running in a couple of hours.

I haven't figured it all out yet, but I can say it worked for me better
than any Debian install I've tried (ducking).  I'm still learning how to
work with emerge; for example I'd like to know more about mixing the cd
binary packages with the source packages from the net.

Any installer with general linux experience will be able to install
gentoo by following the detailed install instructions, which I printed
out.  Having installed previously will help, of course.  I'd be happy to
help out with any gentoo installs when I arrive in the afternoon.

Jonathan