[vox-announce] Reminder: WidgetFX talk tonight @ LUGOD (Mon Dec 17) -- Plus: 2012 Retrospective!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Dec 17 11:33:07 PST 2012

Reminder!  LUGOD meets tonight at the public library in Davis.
Our guest speaker will be Stephen Chin, lead developer of "WidgetFX".

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/

Also, we're still looking for a club treasurer.  If you'd like to nominate
yourself for this position, please email our secretary, Andrew Roach, at
typescript at lugod.org

Finally, it's our last meeting of 2012, so I thought I'd do a quick
retrospective!  We began the year with our annual anniversary celebration,
and a talk on the "Processing" programming language, this time at the
Veterans Memorial Center (and we'll be doing it all again next month,
with a talk on Sacramento's "Hacker Lab", so mark your calendar!)

Due to an addition in the family, and hence my lack of planning ahead
or advertising, February's meeting (held at Explorit) was a tiny one,
with a talk on "Neogeography" by our own Alex Mandel.  (Alex, would you
like to do it again some time, hopefully with a larger audience? :) )

Moving into the year, we saw a talk on Java EE by our own Brian Lavnder,
a demo of GIMP by "Beginning GIMP" author Akkana Peck, and an intro to
Ubuntu 12.04 and its controversial "Unity" interface, by Philip Ballew,
head of Ubuntu Youth.

In June, we had a great talk on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation,
as well as some of the technology behind that massive project, by the
Foundation's Trevor Parscal and Roan Kattouw.  Then July's meeting was
canceled because our speaker from SUSE had to reschedule at the last minute.
Those paying attention might notice he came to speak last month. :)

August and September welcomed the Pete Ippel from Fabricatorz
(on their "Open Clip Art Library" and many other great topics),
and Daniel Reverri of Basho, on their "Riak" NoSQL DB.

Finally, in October -- and at long last -- our own Steve Inness presented
his talk (and a great demo) on home CNC machining using Linux and (relatively)
inexpensive hardware.  And, as mentioned, Peter Linnell from SUSE showed up
last month, and did a great talk on their "Open Build Service" and other
topics.

Chances are (since there are 100s of you on these lists, and a dozen,
to dozens, who make our meetings) you missed one or more of these meetings.
We do our best to take some photos during the talks, and to post
presentation notes & slides, when available.  You can find what we have
on our "Past Meetings" page:

  http://lugod.org/meeting/past/

You don't have to click into the meeting minutes, just click the
"camera" (photos) or "paper" (slides) icons on the right!

Or, of course, you can directly browse photos ( http://www.lugod.org/photos/ )
or presentation slides ( http://www.lugod.org/presentations/ ) -- I try to
make things as easy to discover as possible. :^)

Looking into 2013, we have nothing scheduled beyond our big January
anniversary event / "Hacker Lab" talk.  So if YOU'D like to speak at LUGOD,
or know someone who might, please check our our Call for Speakers!

  http://www.lugod.org/speak/

Thanks for being part of LUGOD, and have a great holiday season and a
safe and enjoyable New Years!  See many of you tonight, and many more of
you in 2013!

Co-founder & President
Linux Users' Group of Davis
http://www.lugod.org/