[vox-announce] LUGOD ending LERT, vox-outreach & CafePress

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Feb 4 11:15:27 PST 2011

LUGOD officers held a meeting this past Tuesday, before & during our
regularly-scheduled social gathering at Crepeville restaurant.
Minutes from that meeting have just been posted here:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/past/2011.02.01.php

Per the discussions at that meeting, we have decided to end 3 of our
services:

  * LERT: Linux Emergency Relief Team
    This can be described as a one-on-one housecall version of an Installfest.
    At the moment, we seem to have only one team member, LERT's
    coordinator, Henry House, who has been inactive in LUGOD for a number
    of years.  Due to the lack of volunteers, interest in utilizing the
    service, and potential club liability involved, the officers have
    decided to end the service.  We suggest people in need come to our
    Installfests, or utilize our 'vox-tech' mailing list or #lugod IRC chat
    channel on Freenode.net.

  * 'vox-outreach' mailing list
    This mailing list was meant to keep event coordination chatter off of
    our general-discussion mailing list ('vox').  However, events (demos,
    conference tables, exhibits, classes, etc.) happen so rarely, and 'vox'
    mailing list traffic is so much lower than they were in the early 2000s,
    that a specific list for event coordination is unnecessary.

  * Cafepress merchandise shop
    In LUGOD's early days, we occasionally had t-shirts created for club
    members to purchase and to provide as give-aways.  This had a great
    up-front costs, so when CafePress came around, we used their service
    to make t-shirts (and other items) available on-demand.  We don't believe
    this service is being utilized, and our treasurer is concerned that
    selling merchandise can confound our tax status, so we're going to
    close the Cafepress shop.

If you have questions or comments, please direct them to our 'vox' mailing
list.  ( http://www.lugod.org/mailinglists/#vox )

Sent from my computer